Golden-eye \Gold"en-eye`\ (g[=o]ld"'n*[imac]), n. (Zool.) A duck (Glaucionetta clangula), found in Northern Europe, Asia, and America. The American variety (var. Americana) is larger. Called whistler, garrot, gowdy, pied widgeon, whiteside, curre, and doucker. Barrow's golden-eye of America (Glaucionetta Islandica) is less common. [1913 Webster]
Whistler \Whis"tler\, n. [AS. hwistlere.] [1913 Webster]
One who, or that which, whistles, or produces or a whistling sound. [1913 Webster]
(Zool.) (a) The ring ousel. (b) The widgeon. [Prov. Eng.] (c) The golden-eye. (d) The golden plover and the gray plover. [1913 Webster]
(Zool.) The hoary, or northern, marmot (Arctomys pruinosus). [1913 Webster]
(Zool.) The whistlefish. [1913 Webster]
Whistlefish \Whis"tle*fish`\, n. (Zool.) A gossat, or rockling; -- called also whistler, three-bearded rockling, sea loach, and sorghe. [1913 Webster]
1 United States painter (1834-1903) [syn: James Abbott McNeill Whistler]
2 makes a loud high sound
5 Australian and southeastern Asian birds with a melodious whistling call [syn: thickhead]
Whistler may refer to:
- Someone who whistles.
- Whistler (electronics), a brand name of mobile electronic equipment
- Whistler (radio), a very low frequency radio phenomenon.
- Whistler (software), Microsoft's Trainable Text-to-Speech Engine.
- The Whistler, a classic mystery drama radio show.
- Whistler (TV series), a mystery/drama/thriller premiering in 2006 on CTV and The-N.
- Whistler Skin also known as "Trillian Whistler", the default skin for the Trillian instant messaging client.
- a Whistler (bird), a genus of Australian passerine birds in the family Pachycephalidae.
- The Hoary Marmot.
- the development codename for the Microsoft Windows XP computer operating system.
- Whistler (band), a UK indie band
- Whistler (surname), living and deceased members of Whistler family of England.
As a placename in Canada:
As a placename in the USA:
As a personal name:
- Anna McNeill Whistler (1804–1881), mother of the artist James McNeill Whistler and model for the painting Whistler's Mother. Wife of George Washington Whistler.
- Charles Whistler (1856–1913), a British writer
- George Washington Whistler (1800–1849), an American railroad engineer
- James Abbott McNeill Whistler (1834–1903), an American-born British painter
- Rex Whistler (1905–1944), a British painter
- Laurence Whistler (1912– 2000), a British glass engraver and poet
As a fictional person:
- Whistler (Buffyverse), a character in the television series Buffy the Vampire Slayer
- Abraham Whistler, mentor to the Marvel Comics character Blade in film and animated continuity
- James Whistler, mysterious inmate in the television series Prison Break's third season
whistler in Danish: Whistler
whistler in German: Whistler
whistler in French: Whistler
whistler in Korean: 휘슬러
whistler in Dutch: Whistler
whistler in Japanese: ウィスラー
whistler in Slovak: Whistler
whistler in Swedish: Whistler